Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Of Lasts ... and Firsts

Of Lasts … and Firsts

“This is the last time I will …”

                “Do you remember the last time we …”

                                “This is our last day in …”

 If you’re like me, you’ve said it before: “This is the last … .” The last day of vacation, the last ride on the roller coaster, the last time to cross the threshold of a hated class, the last time to see someone you love on this side of heaven. It seems the lasts are always mentioned and are often marked in our  memories as fond or foul. Some lasts are significant and we can clearly demarcate the moment they occurred. I remember the last time I left a hospital with a brand new baby; I savored every moment of that last birth experience. And I will always remember the last “first day of kindergarten”  with my youngest child. I looked at the doors of the school as we approached and thought, “Ok; this is the last time I start a child in this school. Thirteen more years … I can do this.”

Some of our lasts are significant, but we can’t pinpoint the moment those actions or occurrences became the last – we only know they were in retrospect. I remember my babies crawling, and I remember their first steps, but I don’t remember the day when they no longer crawled anywhere. I remember my son’s imaginary friends who went everywhere with us. And then one day, I woke up and realized they were no longer a daily or even weekly mention. When did they go away? When was the last time he talked about these treasured “members” of our family?

Maybe you’re like me; the lasts in your life take on an importance that you know must be documented, or that are so seared in your brain that they become a core memory. Here are just a few of the lasts that I carry with me and refer to often:

   

  • I remember the last conversation I had with my sister-in-law before her death. I was in Thailand and she was in Northwest Washington. We had an email conversation about next steps in caring for my parents. At the time, I had no idea it would be the last time we talked, and I wish I would have expressed my love for her in that email – but I didn’t know.

  • I remember the last walk down the center aisle at my church as a single woman. I knew life would never be the same as I leaned on my dad’s arm and all eyes were upon me. I tried to savor every moment of that last time when it was just my dad and me, walking in the sanctuary.

  • I remember the last day my daughter sat with her high school classmates and sang with her high school choir. I treasured every moment of her graduation day, knowing it would never be the same again around our house.

  • I remember waking up to see my mom’s last two breaths on this earth.


This has been a year of lasts for us. Beginning with Mom’s first day in heaven, I have experienced the last time to see her on this side of eternity. I have attended my last Sunday service at my beloved church in rural Hesston. I have driven out of Halstead for the last time as a resident of more than 14 years. I have locked the doors to my little house on Chestnut for the last time, bidding its safety and security a fond farewell. Marty and I said goodbye to a single life (very willingly!), experiencing the lasts of doing things “our own way.” And now, we have experienced the last day in our De Soto home. For me, this last is not as significant – I only lived in the house for 3 months. But for Marty, his last day in De Soto marked the end of a 26-year journey of living, loving, and raising a family in a house he and Joni built and a home they treasured. So, we pause to remember the lasts.

The lasts are important. They signify pivotal moments in our lives that represent change. We mark time by the lasts. We set up “stones of remembrance” (Joshua 4:1-8) because they help us recognize God’s goodness to us, even in the hard times of life. The lasts remind us that “there is a time for everything” (Ecclesiastes 3:1). They remind us to treasure those around us, and to absorb the wonder of God’s world more keenly and with reverence. But the lasts also do one thing that nothing else can do … they signify the firsts that follow. And firsts can be good, if we let them be. Firsts can comfort us in our moments of lasts; firsts can excite us for a new beginning; firsts can delight us with the realization of new skills gained or new experiences attained. Firsts represent new things. And God calls us to place our hope in the firsts: “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland” (Isaiah 43:19).

What is better than a first? A first time to watch the wonder of a child’s gaze when they discover something new. A first time to experience a thrilling new piece of music. A first look at your new baby. A first breath in heaven. When my mother said goodbye to 2023, she woke up bright and early on January 1, 2024, with her first glimpse of heaven. Even as I watched her last two breaths here, Mom took her first breath in the arms of her Savior – how could I deny her that first just to hold onto my lasts? And although our lasts are often deeply embedded in our memories, they can be enhanced by the firsts that come along after.

Today, we celebrate the first! Today, we step inside our brand new home for the first time as its homeowners. We will be the first to use the dishwasher, the first to cook on the stove, the first to fill the house with the perfumed scent of candles, the first to sleep in the safety of this home’s walls. I’ve never experienced a first like this – a brand new home full of possibilities. It is a little bit like what I imagine Mom felt when she heard, “Happy New Year, Miss Wanda,” and opened her eyes to the beauty of heaven. Oh, I know our first day in our new home pales in comparison to the first day in heaven, but the freshness, the possibilities, the wonder that the old life is over and the new life has begun (2 Corinthians 5:17) are gifts we do not take for granted. We experienced the lasts – the good moments and the sad moments – we will treasure the memories and remember the lessons for the rest of our lives. But today – we rejoice in the firsts. We rejoice that God has made all things new for us.

Welcome to our new home!



From Lasts …



Happy to be HOME

To Firsts …



Our Door is ALWAYS Open

 

No comments:

Post a Comment